Friday, December 9, 2011

IF: Always a part of us

Nick and I talk on gchat while at work. Yesterday he sent me a message that said "I have some news. Are you sitting down?" Of course I panicked. I frantically asked him what happened. He told me that a good friend of ours' new girlfriend is pregnant.

Our friend has never been married, he is almost 40 and he has never really wanted children. He was with a girl for 15 years and they never married or had kids. He has been dating this girl for just a few months. We have met her once. Let's just say she is not the brightest crayon in the box. She already has a one year old child, who was also an accidental pregnancy, with another guy. She had an IUD in this time. There's something around a 0.8% chance of getting pregnant with an IUD. They have only had sex just a handful of times, because she had "intimacy issues" since her first accidental pregnancy.

Our initial reaction is shock. Holy crap, he's going to have a baby?!?! Weird. Next is that awful, shitty feeling: how does that happen when others of us who are ready for children have to wait years, inject ourselves with meds that make us feel like crap, and spend nearly $7,000 in treatments just to have our chance at being parents? That's when I realized that, no matter if I am pregnant or not, our IF journey will always be with us. I am sure the pain and frustration will dissipate with time, but we won't ever forget what we went through to get here.

xoxo,
Megan

2 comments:

  1. You are right. From my experience, it is something that will always be with you. And, by the way. . .CONGRATS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that's one of the worst things about infertility--the fact that you're never quite "recovered," you're just always recovering. I thought a BFP would cure it, but it doesn't really. Of course, I'm thrilled to be on this side of the fence, but I don't think I'll ever forget where I came from. By the way, congratulations on 7 weeks!

    ReplyDelete