Grayson at 2 1/2 years.....
- My little man! He is growing too - he weighed 32.6 lbs and was 36.25 inches tall.
- He is every bit of 2 1/2 - he can be difficult at times (a typical toddler) and we have had our share of meltdowns and tantrums. But at the same time he is such a sweetheart and has a sensitive side like his Mama. It's all about control at this age, so as the pediatrician says, we let him have control of things when possible and always give him choices. The good thing is that his language continues to improve, almost daily, and his understanding is getting better and better. He strings together 4 and 5 word sentences with ease. I love when we explain something to him and he actually listens and then responds "oh." You can tell that he does understand some reasoning. We use re-direction often and try to encourage him to do something else that is acceptable, and that works very well. We do use short time outs for things like hitting, but that doesn't happen often. We usually start with telling him that we will take away the toy, etc. if he doesn't listen and 99% of the time he will stop with that.
- He is very independent and really picks up on everything around him. He wants to do almost everything himself... wash his hands, brush his teeth, undress and dress himself, gets into his booster seat to eat on his own, gets his own food out of the frig and cupboards, he turns the lights on and off, gets his plate or bowl and utensils himself, cleans his face and hands with his napkin, he cleans up his toys and messes, he loves to be involved in anything we are doing: cooking, cleaning, gardening, building things with his Dad, helping Mom with baby sister. I am always amazed at his memory - for example, he remembers places we have been before, like when we drive past a restaurant we have eaten at and he will point it out and mention what kind of food we ate there. He also remembers people and things he has done with them. I am just in awe at how observant he is, even at this age.
- He is going to be just like his Dad, with his building/fabricating skills. He loves to build with his Bristle Blocks, usually an airplane or a "pew pew." I especially enjoy watching his pretend play - he turns his toys into all kinds of things with just his imagination. It's so funny to watch him! He also plays a lot with his trains and train tracks, cars, airplanes, helicopters and tractors. His favorite books right now are Chicka Chicka Boom Boom, Pete the Cat: Wheels on the Bus and his construction/tractor book. His favorite movies are Cars, Planes, The Lego Movie and Big Hero 6. He spends a lot of time outside, either in the backyard playing in his sand box or riding his tricycle or Plasma Car... or at the park, climbing everything, going down the slides and swinging. It's warming up again and we've been in the pool a few times and to our lake. He is still a little fish, even when the water is freezing. We will be spending a lot of time in the water this summer!
- He is doing well at his Montessori school. He moved into the Ladybug class in January, which is ages 2 1/2 - 3 1/2. His teacher always comments on the things he builds with the bristle blocks and monkey gears. He is taking after his Dad, for sure. He is very good at cleaning up and enjoys the sand box and tricycles during outside time. He received the highest marks in dance, movement and drama on his last progress report. He has some incidents with hitting or grabbing, and they usually happen because another child takes something from him and he forgets to use his words.
- Potty training... we are in no rush and his school continues to work with him as well. He's gone pee on the potty twice for us. We are not pushing it, just offering the option to him every day. If he says no, then we don't try. But if he says yes, then he at least sits on the toilet. We are getting there and I'm not worried about when it happens. We were so happy and proud of him the other night before bed... all on his own he told us that he "needed to go" and ran into the bathroom, sat on the potty and peed! He's getting there :)
- He is still a fantastic sleeper and eater! We are so thankful because we know how difficult those two things can be for most toddlers. I am especially thankful right now with his sister waking up during the night. He goes to bed by 8 pm and we usually have to wake him up for school around 7 am. On the weekends, he will sleep in until 8 or 8:30. He is still napping at school, usually an hour and a half to two hours. Same at home. However, he has had several days of no naps here and there both at school and at home. Sometimes it affects his mood and other times he does pretty well for not napping. He still loves most foods we give him and will at least try new things once. His favorites right now (and these change and rotate): salmon, chicken, ribs, steak, cheeseburgers, sandwiches, nuts, beans, tomatoes, salsa, BBQ sauce, veggie chips, applesauce, yogurt, strawberries, snap pea crisps, noodles, miso soup, fruit leathers, popcorn, cheese, pineapple, oranges, tangerines, artichokes, asparagus, popsicles, ice cream and Daddy's homemade pizza.