Friday, July 25, 2014

Hyperemesis Gravidarum

So yeah. If you haven't noticed, I've been missing from blogging. No 12 or 13 week updates. I've been so, so, so sick.

I've had a rough first trimester as it is, but last Saturday things got really bad. I threw up a few times that day and I felt awful, so I stopped eating altogether. It was just so bad that I couldn't find one thing I tolerated. Sunday was the same and even worse in the evening. I went to my primary care doctor on Monday because I had a really bad sore throat and headache and wanted to rule out strep. I noticed that when she weighed me before the appointment, I had lost 10 lbs since my OB appointment. Tuesday was even worse. I couldn't even keep water down and my head was throbbing so I called Nick and he took me to the ER. I spent six hours there, getting IV fluids, Zofran and Tylenol.

The next day I called my OB and they decided to set up a home health visit to have a nurse come to my house and give me an IV so I could be hydrated and medicated at home. The regular dissolvable Zofran wasn't working. The nurse came super late on Wednesday and at that point I hadn't eaten in 5 days, my urine had keotones from dehydration and I thought I was going to die. Thursday morning was better after a night of fluids. Still feeling nauseous and had no appetite, but I started eating jello and lemon fruit popsicles. And drinking some water!!!! I even made it to the NT scan and baby girl looked perfect, thank goodness. My biggest fear was the impact all of this may have on her.

Today is Friday and I ate some bread without wanting to vomit! Yay! I have my last bag of fluids tonight (crazy, but there is a national shortage of fluids! I almost couldn't get them) and I've been on the IV Zofran every six hours regularly. The combo seems to be helping. I haven't been at work all week, so I'm hoping to be back on Monday.

Poor Grayson has had a difficult time. He is used to me doing the bedtime routine and taking and picking him up from school. I felt terrible as Nick had to do everything for a few days there, when even moving made me sick. But he did great and Grayson survived.

I'm hoping I've turned a corner, but I just don't know yet. Will this last the entire pregnancy or will it get better as I move into the second trimester? No one knows. I don't know how long I will have my IV in or how I'll know when I'm better unless I try and stop the meds. That terrifies me. What I do know is this has been the week from hell and I wouldn't wish this upon anyone. It's been really hard.



  1. Thanks for sharing your experience with this very dangerous and misunderstood condition. I hope you feel better soon and can enjoy your pregnancy. You are a courageous & loving Mom