Friday, February 17, 2012

Names. Ugh.

Boy names are tough! Don't get me wrong, I love that we are having a boy. We just can't find a boy name we both like. We both have very generic names, so I am trying to avoid anything too common. I also don't want anything too strange. Kids can be mean. I even second guess the names I like. Yes, I am probably over-thinking this {typical Megan}, but come on, this is someone's name. That's a big deal.

We started with two lists; mine and Nick's. I narrowed my list down to four or five names and went through Nick's list and added any of his that I liked to my list. As of right now, we have one list of eight names. I asked Nick what his favorite(s) are and he said he doesn't like any of them haha. ::sigh::

The next step? Ask everyone we know to send us name ideas, scour the internet for more names we like and make a new list. Nick is in the mindset "we have 6 months to decide, no rush", where I am in the mindset "oh my gosh, we cannot agree on a name, what are we going to do, we need to figure this out sooner rather than later, ahhhhhhh." Typical of both of us. We balance each other out so well :)

Any suggestions? We need all the help we can get, and you might think of a name we haven't.

xoxo,
Megan

6 comments:

  1. My suggestion, come up with 3 that you can both agree that you like and as your husband pointed out you have 6 months to do this. Then when baby arrives see which name suits him best. No reason to have him named the moment he pops out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do have some time to come up with a name, but it will also go by really fast! My husband and I kept saying that, and then were in the hospital being told we might have the baby that day and decided she probably needed a middle name lol.

    I tried looking at the internet for names and it just didn't work. I had a problem with everything. We had a boy's name picked out because we planned to name him after his dad, which we'll do with our next if it's a boy. But if it weren't for that I don't know that we'd ever have agreed on a boy's name. For some reason they seem so much harder!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some boy names I like that are not too common but not too weird... Jordan, Jackson, Carter, Miles, Brandon, and my old stand by of what I'd like to name a child if we're ever blessed with a boy...Will (william). Good luck finding something you agree on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, boy names are harder. Ryan and I have agreed on two girl names we like without any problems. But there's something about having a fitting name for a cute little guy that will also work for a manly man one day, you know? One of the unique but not too over the top names I like for a boy or girl is Bradyn. Ryan's not a fan so we'll never use it. Oh well. lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. No advice on how to choose a name, but an idea for access to names. I don't know if you are movie fans, but I noticed over the weekend that the credits ARE good for something...instant access to hundred of names and name combinations! I'm sure when you find it, you'll know. Good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ugh! Boy names are tough!! I forced J to start talking about it right at 17-ish weeks, and it's a good thing we did, because we didn't narrow the list of three down to 2 until 36 weeks, and then didn't choose Gabriel's name until the night after he was born!

    Not to freak you out, but it's a good thing to work on it now. I know they get a bad rap, but the Baby Names board on TB is a fantastic research for brainstorming names.

    ReplyDelete